What We (Harmony Community Church of Byron, GA) Believe…
God is the Creator and Ruler of the Universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.
We are made in the image of God, to be like Him in character. We are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although we have tremendous potential for good, everyone is marred by an attitude of rebellion toward God called sin. Sin separates people from God.
People are created to exist forever. Every person will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is hell. To be eternally in union with Him is heaven. Heaven and hell are places of eternal existence.
About Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary by miraculous conception, lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days demonstrating His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory where He is the only Mediator between God and people, and will return again to earth. He will reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Salvation is a gift from God to all people. Men and women can never make up for their sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can a person be saved from sin’s penalty. When God has begun a saving work in the heart of any person, He gives assurance in His Word that He will continue performing it until the day of its full consummation.
About God’s Dependability
Because God gives man and woman eternal life through Jesus Christ, and adopts them as His own, salvation is received and maintained by the grace and power of God—not by the self-effort of the Christian. It is the grace and keeping power of God that gives believers the assurance of salvation. No power in the universe can separate God’s children from Him.
About the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son as God. He is present in the world to make people aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth and guidance in doing what is right. The Christian seeks to live under His control daily.
About the Bible
The Bible, both Old and New Testaments, is God’s word to all. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Scriptures are inspired by God, and are infallible and inerrant in the original manuscripts. They are the unique, full and final authority on all matters of faith and practice, and there are no other writings similarly inspired by God.
About Faith and Practice
Scripture is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice. This church recognizes that it cannot bind the conscience of individual members in areas where Scripture is silent. Rather, each believer is to be led in those areas by the Lord, to whom he or she alone is ultimately responsible.
Core Values We Believe that…
- Lost people matter to God and therefore matter to the church. Luke 5:30-32, Luke 15, Matthew 18:14
- The church should be culturally relevant while remaining doctrinally pure. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
- Christ-followers should pursue and continually take steps towards intimacy with Christ. Ephesians 4:25-26, 32, Hebrews 12:1, Philippians 1:6
- The ministries of the church should be based upon the spiritual gifts temperaments and talents of its Christ-followers. 1 Corinthians 12 and 14, Romans 12, Ephesians 4, Psalm 133:1
- The church should offer opportunities for all people to take steps toward Christ through service or participate at their level of commitment.
- Ministry is best accomplished in teams. 1 Corinthians 13, Nehemiah 3, Luke 10:1, John 13:34-35
- Clear biblical teaching is the catalyst for life transformation and that ongoing life-change happens best in small groups. Luke 6:12-13, Acts 2:44-47
- Excellence honors God and inspires people. Colossians 3:17, Malachi 1:6-14, Proverbs 27:17
- The church should be led by Christ-followers with leadership gifts who have embraced the mission, vision and core values of their church. Nehemiah 1-2, Romans 12:8, Acts 6:2-5
- Taking steps in the context of full devotion to Christ and His cause is normal for every Christ-follower. 1 Kings 11:4, Philippians 2:1-11, 2 Corinthians 8:7, Colossians 3:23
GROWING WITH INTENT
We will be a church of people gathering, members participating, and servants leading.
REACHING ALL GENERATIONS
With burning zeal, we will effectively communicate a relevant, uncompromising, biblical message to every unique generation.
ADVANCING OUR MISSION THROUGH THE ARTS
Jesus Christ will be worshiped at Harmony Community Church through a broad expression of the arts. Hearts will be touched, emotions stirred, minds opened and lives forever changed through the excellent and compelling presentation of the arts.
NURTURING SPIRITUAL GROWTH
Through vibrant Bible study, worship and prayer, we will create a contagious environment for learning, growing and becoming more like Christ.
GATHERING IN GROUPS
Our family will grow until every unconnected person is a fully-devoted follower of Jesus Christ and is connected in authentic relationships.
ENCOURAGING EFFECTIVE MINISTRY
We will design and continually improve our infrastructure to facilitate ministry and celebrate innovation, passion and excellence in every expression of our radical devotion to Jesus Christ.
RESOURCING THE CHURCH
We will enthusiastically give our resources, experience and giftedness to train and encourage those intent upon building prevailing churches.